By Jessica Dunkel, Reference Department
Did you know that having a Williamson County library card gives you access to a large selection of free online magazines? Our magazine database, Zinio, is a wonderful way to get your magazine fix without having to visit the library! (We do love when you visit, but we also appreciate instant access to free things. We’re sure you do, too.)
After you create an account (directions listed below), you can log in and start reading immediately on your home computer, laptop, tablet, or smart phone. You can also get the Zinio App and read wirelessly on your iPad, iPhone, Android, or Kindle HD/HDX.
Zinio gives you access to over 60 different magazines. A few titles include Good Housekeeping, National Geographic, The Oprah Magazine, Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Cosmopolitan, Reader’s Digest, Food Network, Seventeen, Country Gardens, Weightwatchers, Popular Science, Women’s Health, The Economist, Bloomberg Business Week, Dwell, and many more!
Still not convinced that you need Zinio in your life right now? Here are some more cool features:
- If you’re hooked up to a printer you can print the pages you want to keep, like recipes, articles for school projects, or those top 10 lists you want to hang on to.
- Because you have instant digital access, you’ll always have the latest issue as soon as it’s published.
- You’ll also have access to older issues so you can check out what you may have missed.
- The magazines are simple to navigate. You can flip through pages one by one or select a specific page in the page overview feature. There’s a zoom feature if you want a closer look at the pictures or text. And if flipping through each page doesn’t appeal to you, there’s an option to scroll down through the magazine like you would on a normal webpage. Here’s a preview:
Screenshot from Prevention Magazine December 2015
How to get Zinio
- Go to http://lib.williamson-tn.org/
- Select eLibrary Digital from the menu on the left
- Select Databases by Title
- Click on V-Z
- To read magazines on your internet browser: click on Zinio Online Magazines
- To read magazines on an iPad, iPad, iPhone, Android, or Kindle HD/HDX: click on Zinio Information / FAQ for instructions
Discover or catch up on your favorite magazines instantly with Zinio! As always, call us at the Reference Desk at 615-595-1243 if you have any questions. Happy reading!
Ever been on your lunch break, only to realize that you left your book at your desk?
If you have your smartphone or tablet, you can easily download some FREE magazines!
WCPLtn has just purchased ZINIO and online database of popular magazines that were specially selected periodicals just for OUR patrons!
AND, we’re always tweaking it, adding new titles, keeping all of our patrons reading interests in mind!
So check it out! And feel free to call us at 615-595-1243 for more info, or to set up a one-on-one session with one of our reference librarians!