By Lance Hickerson, Reference Department
Originally published December 26, 2014
Holidays afford us time to relax, enjoy shows, catch up with friends, and share some of our favorite cuisine with special folks in our life. Funny thing, after those times of good cheer and catching up, one common post-festivity urge reported is the desire to stop into the library to simply browse around. Unfortunately, for many of these holiday moments, the library is officially closed. But please know, the back door is open. By this we mean the cyber door to all the library’s electronic offerings. Even on those “closed” holidays, the library still has some wonderful things available.
Here are just a few suggestions…
- Check out ebooks and audiobooks with READS!
- Browse online magazines.
- Explore Career Transitions if you’re thinking about new career opportunities.
- Learn a new word a day with Oxford Reference Online.
- Take a virtual tour of great artists without leaving home, through the helpful websites!
And there is a lot of online fun for children as well:
Online Fun Suggestions!
- Read digital picture books with our TumbleBooks Call us now for the id and password.
- Listen to an e-audiobook for teens and children via OneClick. All you need is your lilbrary card!
- Borrow an ebook via READS for Kids. Use the cute interface for young readers that lets them borrow chapter books and more.
- Explore new subjects in Kids Infobits with articles and reference books for young people.
- Play games and more in TEL4U.
- Learning can be fun for young ones with World Book Online. Try the Early World of Learning or one of the boxes labeled ‘Kids’.
So just remember, even though we are closed, the back (cyber) door is always open.
By Erin Holt, Teen Librarian
Libraries have become so much more than just books in the last few years — many are morphing into community centers, providing resume assistance, career centers, makerspaces, and learning labs in addition to the physical book collection. And online collections including eBooks and eAudiobooks are all the rage (we love our OverDrive READS that’s for sure!) allowing patrons to access materials right from their tablet or smartphone. This is HUGE this day and age with everyone being on the go! Waiting in the checkout line at the grocery store, browse your OverDrive app and download a book and begin reading instantly! It’s genius and a service that we’re proud to offer it to our patrons!
In fact, OverDrive is so popular that they have recently made some updates to their app to make things go a bit smoother for everyone! Check out the updates here
But we also wanted to highlight that our Library values books, and our librarians go to great lengths to constantly keep our physical collection of books, DVDs, and magazines up to date. In addition to all of that however, our director, Dolores Greenwald, hosts a monthly television show ‘Not Just Books‘ that airs on YouTube. The show focuses on what other services we provide both IN the library and outside the library! Wondering what the Friends of the Library are up to? How we’re celebrating the Sesquicentennial (hint: we wrote a fabulous book!), and what our new Teen Librarian is up to? Click on over
And be sure to bookmark this page — we’ve got new episodes every month!
And as always, give us a call if you have questions — 615-595-1243