By Sharon Reily, Reference Department
Do you have piles of expensive magazines stashed around your house? Do you sometimes find it inconvenient to visit the Library to access your favorite periodicals? Check out Flipster, the Williamson County Public Library’s new digital resource that gives you instant access to popular magazines on your computer, smart phone, or tablet. It’s as easy as flipping a page . . . there’s no clutter . . . and it’s FREE!
You can choose from 57 different magazines on a variety of subjects covering sports, business, entertainment, home and garden, men’s and women’s health, food and cooking, news and politics, and travel.
GETTING STARTED WITH FLIPSTER
On Your Computer:
Go to WCPL’s website (wcpltn.org) and click on the eLibrary box on the homepage.
Scroll down and click on the Flipster link on the left side of the screen.
In the top right corner of your screen, click Sign In.
Enter your library account number in the box and click Login.
You’re now signed in and you can start reading free digital magazines on your computer!
On Your Smart Phone or Tablet:
Download the Flipster app on your smart phone or tablet from the App Store or Google Play Store.
Open the app and click Get Started.
In the Find My Library box, click Allow to let Flipster search your location for nearby libraries that offer Flipster.
Then lick Log In next to Williamson County Public Library.Enter your library card number and click Login.
You can now start reading digital magazines on your smart phone or tablet!
FINDING AND READING MAGAZINES
Once you’ve signed into Flipster, you can access magazines in several ways:
- Search for a specific magazine by title.
- Browse for magazines by subject.
- Scroll through all magazines by clicking the right arrow.
Simply click on the magazine cover to open it.
- Click All Issues to see other editions of the magazine.
- Click Pages to see thumbnail images of all the pages in the issue.
- Zoom in or out on a page by clicking the zoom buttons.
- Click the right arrow to advance to the next page or click the back arrow to go back a page.
That’s all there is to it! But if you’d like additional information on using Flipster, to go https://ebsco.libguides.com/flipster/flipsterapp, where you’ll find more detailed instructions, tips, FAQs, and video tutorials.
With Flipster, you can free space taken up by paper issues of magazines, save money on the cost of subscriptions, and read your favorite magazines whenever and wherever you’d like. Enjoy your digital magazines!
By Lance Hickerson, Reference Department
Originally published December 26, 2014
Holidays afford us time to relax, enjoy shows, catch up with friends, and share some of our favorite cuisine with special folks in our life. Funny thing, after those times of good cheer and catching up, one common post-festivity urge reported is the desire to stop into the library to simply browse around. Unfortunately, for many of these holiday moments, the library is officially closed. But please know, the back door is open. By this we mean the cyber door to all the library’s electronic offerings. Even on those “closed” holidays, the library still has some wonderful things available.
Here are just a few suggestions…
- Check out ebooks and audiobooks with READS!
- Browse online magazines.
- Explore Career Transitions if you’re thinking about new career opportunities.
- Learn a new word a day with Oxford Reference Online.
- Take a virtual tour of great artists without leaving home, through the helpful websites!
And there is a lot of online fun for children as well:
Online Fun Suggestions!
- Read digital picture books with our TumbleBooks Call us now for the id and password.
- Listen to an e-audiobook for teens and children via OneClick. All you need is your lilbrary card!
- Borrow an ebook via READS for Kids. Use the cute interface for young readers that lets them borrow chapter books and more.
- Explore new subjects in Kids Infobits with articles and reference books for young people.
- Play games and more in TEL4U.
- Learning can be fun for young ones with World Book Online. Try the Early World of Learning or one of the boxes labeled ‘Kids’.
So just remember, even though we are closed, the back (cyber) door is always open.