By Patsy Watkins MPS, CFCS
Family & Consumer Sciences Agent, UT/TSU Extension, Williamson County
Keep you Holidays green by saving money. Follow these tips:
- Make a holiday budget for all holiday spending and Stick To It!
- Pay cash for all purchases
- Just say NO – you don’t have to do everything
- Avoid the store card discount traps- do NOT sign up for a new credit card in exchange for 10%-20% off your purchase
- Make a holiday shopping list and include the maximum amount to be spent for each item
- Start early – so you don’t panic
- Remember money does not equal love or affection
Avoid these Holiday Spending Mistakes
- Going overboard with gift wrap. Recycle- Reuse is totally acceptable.
- Overuse of credit cards. Set a spending limit and stick to it!
- Guilty Spending. Don’t shop with negative emotions. Don’t shop in a rush or when you are tired.
- Not trimming your gift list. You don’t have to buy everyone a gift. Send a card or note.
- Confusing buying with celebrating. Remember the real reason for the season.