By Jessica Dunkel, Reference Department
Have you ever dreamed of starting your own business but feel completely overwhelmed? Or maybe you’ve already taken the first leap and need some additional help. Although starting and maintaining a small business can seem like an uphill battle, there are countless resources to turn to when you’re feeling in over your head. Below you’ll find links that will help you to start and maintain your small business with information ranging from financing and management assistance to tips, strategies, mentoring tools, and success stories from other small businesses.
Need financing for your small business but can’t get it through traditional banks?
- The Small Business Administration helps Americans start, build and grow businesses.
- Southeast Community Capital provides loans to disadvantaged small businesses lacking access to traditional financing options in low-income areas throughout Tennessee.
- Strategies for Small Business is a leader in providing SBA loans to businesses throughout the country.
Assistance for small and minority-owned businesses
- The Tennessee Treasury Department developed the Small and Minority-owned Business Program to provide loans and program services, such as technical assistance, to foster the expansion of small and minority-owned business in Tennessee.
Need a mentor to help jump start or retool your business?
- The Business Enterprise Resource Office provides technical, financial and management information assistance to small, minority and women owned businesses in Tennessee.
- The Tennessee Small Business Development Center offers free assistance to help business owners grow and develop successful, thriving businesses.
- Counselors to America’s Small Business, or “SCORE,” is a nonprofit association dedicated to educating entrepreneurs and the formation, growth and success of small business nationwide. SCORE is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Small Business Resources from Tennessee Libraries
- The Tennessee Electronic Library (TEL), administered by the Tennessee State Library and Archives, includes the Infotrac Small Business Collection which features over 200 articles and journals that highlight tips, strategies and success stories of small businesses.
With your Williamson County library card you can also visit our homepage and use our “eLibrary Digital” resources for even more business materials. Click here, or go to eLibrary Digital, Articles and Databases, and select the Business category from the top of the list. As always, we love helping our patrons find what they need to succeed. Visit us at your local library to find even more small business resources including books, magazines, newspapers, and directories.