Guest Post: Adventure is out there!
By Patsy Watkins MPS, CFCSFamily & Consumer Sciences Agent, UT/TSU Extension, Williamson County
Whether you have a few days to leave town or two weeks, packing all the essentials into a carry on seems like an impossible task. Pack like a professional using these tips:
- Pack fast-drying or athletic tops. If it gets dirty, you can wash it and be ready to go within the half hour.
- Wear your walking shoes to stay comfortable and pack a dressier pair of shoes for a night out.
- Pack items by type in plastic bags with dryer sheets to keep the suitcase
organized and smelling fresh.
- Use a multipurpose soap in a refillable bottle to cut down on liquids.
- Buy a solar keychain charger for organization and to keep your phone ready for pictures.
- Visit a nursery where you can choose plants and flowers that you would like to grow as a You don’t have to have tons of space, many plants can be enjoyed from small containers. Turn this into a science experiment for children.
- Go on a There are many trails and areas where families can explore on their own. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the great outdoors. National parks have several free entrance days throughout the year. Check out www.nps.gov to find a date that works for your family.
- Geocaching adds adventure for young and old Enjoy this “treasure hunt” together and see new places and things in old places near or far. Geocaching is an engaging adventure that combines technology, the outdoors, and exploration.
- Groupon, Living Social and many other travel websites offer hidden gems at over half the Explore every corner of your state with these tools.
- Search for local festivals across the Tennessee has free events year round that include toy train shows, reenactments, music, and various food, and garden festivals. Enjoy a weekend and potentially find new hobbies for the family.