Resources for a fun, healthy, and affordable summertime
By Jessica Dunkel, Reference Department
Remember that New Year’s resolution to become healthier? Yeah, me neither. I vividly remember the cold and the layer of blankets that were breached to either turn a book page or re-heat my coffee. Now that summer’s here, it’s the perfect time to get out, get active, and revisit the journey to better health! Getting healthier for those of us on a budget is no easy task, which is why it’s important to get the right support from affordable resources. Check out the links below that will help you feel your best this summer season, including quitting tobacco, nutritional tips, and getting active on a budget.
Need help quitting tobacco use for good?
- The Tennessee Tobacco QuitLine provides personalized support for Tennesseans who want to quit smoking or chewing tobacco completely free of charge. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) and for the hearing-impaired call, 1-877-559-3816.
Looking for information about how to make good nutritional and exercise choices?
- Get Fit Tennessee provides useful information to help Tennesseans stay active and eat healthfully on a budget. Included are a cookbook with low-calorie, low-cost recipes, a daily online food journal and a calorie calculator, which help users keep eating habits on track. The Health & Fitness Tracker helps you keep log your physical activities and monitor your progress.
Summer is also a great time for activities (so many activities!), but it can be hard finding fun things to do, especially on a budget. If you’re having a “I don’t know, what do YOU want to do today?” moment, below are a few links for singles, families, and kids that will get your summer going! Try a trip to one of the many beautiful Tennessee state parks or entertain your kids on those rainy days with some free books and book activity ideas!
Looking for affordable recreation?
- Check out the low cost getaways and free day trips from Tennessee State Parks. You can start by looking at their schedule of upcoming events for all ages, or browse their handy Things to Do page for fun activities including biking, birding, camping, hiking, waterfalls, and more!
Free books for children under age 5
- All Tennessee children under age 5 are eligible to receive Imagination Library books through the Governor’s Books from Birth Foundation. The program provides one book per month from birth to the child’s fifth birthday at no cost to the family and regardless of income. For information on how to register a child, call toll-free 1-877-99-BOOKS, or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
Need reading tips and book-specific activities for kids?
- Find reading tips and book-specific reading activities for babies, toddlers and preschoolers to extend the benefits of the books in the Imagination Library beyond the printed page.
All of these resources are a great way to get you started towards better health and a fun-filled summer. If you’re looking for even more free ideas, there are always events going on for all ages right here at your local library! Check out our website’s calendar for the latest info.