Janice Keck Literary Awards 2015 – Revised!
REVISED Submission Guidelines
Accepting Submissions through April 30, 2015
The Williamson County Public Library is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted for the 2015 Janice Keck Literary Awards to promote excellence in writing by authors currently residing in Williamson County, Tennessee. These awards honor the memory of the late Janice Keck, Director of the Williamson County Public Library from 1979 until her death in 2011. Keck, an author herself, was a strong supporter of writers and writing in the community. The awards given in her name recognize excellence in four categories: fiction, non-fiction, poetry collections, and writing for children. Only unpublished works will be considered for the awards, although authors who have previously had works published are encouraged to enter.
Submissions will be judged by an independent review committee made up of published authors who are not affiliated with the Williamson County Public Library. In the event that there are no submissions which meet the criteria in any given category, the review committee reserves the right not to make an award in that category. Submissions will be accepted through April 30, 2015.
The winning authors will receive a publishing package to include:
- Assistance in setting up an account with IngramSpark
- Assistance in obtaining copyright registration (the author will hold the copyright to the work)
- One International Standard Book Number and barcode
- Assistance with registration with online vendors
- 10 hardback copies of the work
- Authors must be over the age of 18.
- Authors must live in Williamson County.
- Employees of the Williamson County Public Library are not eligible to enter.
- Authors who previously entered the Janice Keck Literary Awards competition may re-submit their work as long as the work has not been published.
- Authors may submit work in more than one category, but only one submission per category.
Submissions may be made in one of the following ways:
- Entries should be submitted in digital form, as a Word-compatible document or pdf.
- Submissions should be uploaded to Google Drive, and shared with firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submissions may also be put on a disc or flash drive and mailed or delivered to the Williamson County Public Library, 1314 Columbia Avenue, Franklin, TN 37064, attention: Writing Contest Committee. Discs and flash drives will not be returned.
- The author’s name should not appear anywhere in the manuscript.
- The author must submit a separate cover sheet in addition to the manuscript that includes name, address, phone number, and email address. Entries that do not include the author’s address will not be considered.
- Poetry collections should include not less than 24 poems, no more than one poem per page.
- For collections (poetry and short stories) material in the manuscript may have been published previously in a chapbook, magazine, journal or anthology, but the work as a whole must be unpublished and we ask that no more than 50% of the individual poems or stories be previously published. Include a list of acknowledgements of any previously published poems or stories with the cover sheet, not in the manuscript itself.
- Previously published books, including translations and self-published books, are not eligible.
- All entries must be “publishing ready.” In this contest, “publishing ready” means that the manuscript:
- Must be carefully edited (edited for content and thoroughly proofed).
- Must include a concept of artwork for the book cover.
- Manuscripts must be submitted as one complete document or file. Manuscripts sent with chapters and pages saved as individual files will NOT be accepted.
- Times New Roman, 12-point font is preferred.
- Manuscript pages must be numbered.
- Children’s picture books must contain a minimum of 24 pages, and be laid out in portrait orientation.
- Children’s picture books will NOT be considered if they do not include all illustrations.
- Submissions must include a 200-word description of the work.
Submissions will not be returned.
No editorial feedback will be provided.
Questions should be sent to email@example.com